Monday, August 31, 2009

Stop throwing stones!

So everyone is making a huge deal out of Chris Brown’s interview with Larry King which is supposed to air this Wednesday night on CNN. I actually could care less about the actual interview and probably won't even watch it. In preparation/advertisement for the episode, snippets of the interview have been leaked and bloggers/media/people are jumping all over Chris Brown for his comments.

Among Brown's revelations:
  • He still loves Rihanna: "I never fell out of love with her. That just wouldn't go away."
  • How he felt right after the assault: "I was distraught ... I went to my mom on the same night and told [her] what happened and broke down."
  • Why he's different from his stepfather, who he says regularly abused his mother: "I feel like he enjoyed it. He was an abuser. It was continuous."
I guess my question is, what do people want Chris Brown to say?? He can’t go back and erase what he did. He can’t “unbeat” Rihanna. It’s done. All he can do is move forward. He plead guilty and will have to do 1400 hours of community labor [Can you imagine riding down a VA highway and seeing Chris Brown cleaning up trash?]. Maybe it’s just me, but Chris could have easily plead not guilty to the charges and drag out the story of what really happened that night—which call me a traitor to women, but I think the REAL story probably includes Rihanna flipping out and putting her hands on Chris first. I’m sure the details of what really occurred between these two would be damning for BOTH Rihanna and Chris Brown’s careers, and yet he plead not guilty and is attempting to move on.

He’s offered remorse. He says he still loves her and wishes her the best. What else can he say? Everyone is like, “I don’t give a sh*t WHAT he has to say, he hit her!” It’s true people. He hit her. I’m not defending it—I was so shocked when I first heard and even more shocked by those awful photos of Rihanna’s bruised face. I think domestic violence of ANY kind is deplorable no matter if she hit him first. But it’s done. He took responsibility for it—and was punished as the California courts saw fit. He’s still an incredibly talented kid who made a mistake. I feel as if everyone is waiting for Chris to come out and say “Yeah, I beat that bitch and I’d do it again!” so that we can then string him up on the cross that we think he deserves.

Me personally, I’m so over this Rihanna/Chris Brown thing. Honestly, I think they are both rich kids from a troubled background who could probably BOTH use some professional help. I think the Chris Brown bashing is getting a bit old. I don’t think they need to be in a relationship with each other again—that ship has sailed [in my opinion, which CLEARLY is relevant about someone else’s relationship] but I also don’t think Rihanna is some innocent princess and he is some evil monster. Life would be so easy if all these matters were that black and white. But alas, life is full with shades of grays, pinks, baby blues, and mauves.

I don’t know if I could ever listen to Chris Brown’s music again—whenever his songs come on my iPod in the gym, especially the ballads, I get uncomfortable and finally just skip to the next track—but I don’t necessarily feel the need to punish the boy for the rest of his life. He’s 20 years old. He made a mistake that will undoubtedly follow him for the rest of his life. He’ll be someone completely different in 10 years—hell in 2 years. Doesn’t he deserve that chance???

No comments: