The biggest question I’ve encountered since school started back?
“Why did you cut your haaaaair?!?!”
My response is usually some version of, “Because I wanted to.”
I don’t have a thing about hair. I know men love long hair; older women think long hair is a woman’s “crowning glory”. Yeah, I think none of that. Hair is hair. I do however think hair has energy [at least for me]. So at the beginning of the summer when I decided to cut my hair, I was looking for a new energy. Or to be more accurate an old energy.
I first cut my hair off when I was 14, just before the 9th grade. It changed my energy. I was fresh off my latest depression: “me-against-the-world”. And I just felt good. So I was young, hot, and short-haired. And I felt so good to just be me. It was the first time I felt comfortable in my own skin. For me, cutting my hair off was about cutting out the bullsh*t. I no longer had long curls distracting from what to me, really mattered—who I really am.
My freshman year of college I was that girl with short hair and big boobs. And I loved it. It was the year of Luda-shots/chicken+beer parties/football games/just “living-the-life”. Another time I just felt great. I was short-haired and the perfect combination of sweet & sassy.
My short haircut, I feel, always said a lot about me as a person. Hair and superficial shit like that, are just that superficial and quite subjective. If you wear it long, if you are bald—who cares? Do what you want with your hair/clothes/etc. It’s about self-expression and the energy you choose to put out into the world. And my ‘self’ wants to express that with 3 cm of hair on my head, I AM EFFING FABULOUS.
My short hair is my swag. I grew it out just to get a feel for it and I don’t know if this was just a coincidence or something more, but the longer my hair got the more dragged down and just bad I felt. I was a fatty but hey I had long hair. I had long hair but lost my swag. “Long-hair-don’t-care” is NOT me. I am a short haired gal. Short hair is my stylo. I will probably never have long hair again.
So yeah, I cut my hair back off. Because I wanted to. Because my swag is back. I’m ready to get back to ME again. Back to my playa-weight. Back to a place of positivity.
I think every woman should have a swag. Something that puts a little umph in her step. Whether it is a LBD, a certain pair of pumps, a killer push-up, or a short-ass haircut. Every woman has a swag…what’s yours???

No comments:
Post a Comment