Sunday, February 14, 2010

Soul Searching

Disclaimer: This is not an anti-Valentine's Day post. I promise. As a matter of fact, despite the fact I'm stuck at the law school working on this heinous appellate brief for legal writing and have no "valentine" per se, I'm having a pretty good day. My sister sent me a cute little V-Day card with $25 and it made me smile. So this year, I'm not "beefing" with Valentine's Day at all. So, Happy Valentine's Day, people--single or attached, I hope you have love in your life today. Ok. Enough of that.

I follow The Daily Love on Twitter. Basically whomever these Daily Love people are tweet positivity all day long--similar to Rev. Run's tweets. And sometimes they're really inspiring/motivating tweets. Sometimes they're really cheesy/annoying tweets. Other times they're thought-provoking tweets. The other day, @TheDailyLove tweeted this:

When u meet the other 1/2 of your soul u will know why it didnt work out until now & be greatful 2 those who let u go #TDL
Now. On one hand I 100% agree that when you encounter something in life that's "right"--whether it be a relationship (platonic or romantic), a job, a place, etc., you will know that its right and you can then look back at past situations and clearly see what was wrong. Afterall, hindsight is 20/20. However, something about this tweet caused me to pause. I feel as if The Daily Love has based this tweet upon a rather large assumption--the everyone meets their supposed "other half".

I don't know if I believe that. If I'm supposed to be finding the other half of my soul does that mean my soul/life is currently incomplete until I find said person? I cannot wrap my head (or my heart) around that. Because there are people in this world who never get married or never feel they've met a soulmate--what do we tell those people? Sucks to be you? Kill yourself? Kick rocks? Uh. Ok.

I believe we had "complete" souls before we were ever born and will have "complete" souls after we die. A lot of my religious/spiritual beliefs are rooted in a strong belief in the transformative power of love. I even believe in soulmates--as the years go by I grow more and more convinced that V is my soulmate. While the idea of an incompleteness inside of me that can only be filled by my husband is a sweet and incredibly romantic notion, I don't think I believe that at all. I don't think our lives are about finding this mythical "The One". I believe our lives are journeys, full of life lessons. Some of us are lucky to walk that journey with another person--a spouse, a sibling, a friend. Others walk the journey alone, interacting with people along the way. But where you end up at the end of your life has nothing to do with this "One" completing your soul. I've witnessed too many things for me ever to believe that.

I look at my parents who have been married for 30 years. They're best friends. They "complete" each other in the sense that each is the Ying to the others Yang. They made a decision 30 years ago to go through this life thing together. They've built a home. They've built a family. But heaven forbid something were to happen to one of them or they were to decide to divorce--is the others soul now "incomplete" again? Nope. They're just on a new path now. Headed somewhere different--somewhere they never anticipated.

One of my favorite sayings is, "The only constant in the world is change." The world around us is ever-changing and it changes so much I don't think we could ever boil down the soul or spirit to the pursuit of another. Our lives are about so much more than that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to meet a guy who wanted to go through this with me. I'm very much so in awe and envious of what my parents have. It hasn't been perfect AT ALL. But at the end of the day, they each wake up and choose to continue to walk with the other. And that's powerful. But even without the other person, they're lives and souls are very much so filled with purpose.

I guess what really bothered me about The Daily Love's tweet is that it encourages us to get completely lost in another person. It wants us to believe that one person can complete our very essence. That's not only untrue but an incredibly dangerous notion...Just something I was thinking about.

No comments: