Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Hungry.
I've never read a memoir before with the exception of The Autobiography of Malcolm X which doesn't really count because my father MADE me read that one summer. I typically read fiction or "educational" books {typically history} but I stumbled across a memoir that I'm dying to read. It's called Hungry and its written by Crystal Renn a plus-sized model. Crystal is my age. She models A LOT for Lane Bryant and Forever21's new Faith21 line and she's GORGEOUS. To "clarify" her size, she wears a size 12 which still makes me laugh that its considered "plus" but whatever. What's interesting about Crystal's story is she used to be a "normal" sized model (size 0) and had a severe eating disorder to maintain that size.
Crystal has such an important message about self-love and being happy--and the importance of being healthy. I wake up every morning and I work out. I make a concerted effort to eat healthily but I don't deprive myself of anything I want (hence the sushi meal I inhaled a few hours ago). Maintaining my health is sooo important to me--I don't want things like heart disease or diabetes to stop me from living the life I want to live. But its also important in terms of how I mentally view myself and by extension treat others.
In the past year I've come into a certain level of acceptance with myself and my body, but I won't lie and say there aren't times (many times lately) that I'm insecure and I fear that the insecurity projects towards others. I want to project confidence and a comfort in my own skin because I recognize insecurity in others around me and its such an unattractive quality. But self-confidence is an ongoing process. But the daily work outs help. It lifts my spirits to work hard...sweat it out. And this may sound bizarre, but I feel sexiest when I step off the elliptical. Sweat dripping. But hey, that's just me.
Anyway, I'm really excited about checking out Hungry. I rarely have time to read for pleasure but I'm going to try and fit this one in during Spring Break. I just have a feeling the book is going to be not only an interesting read, but provide me with some personal insights (that of course I'll share).
Isn't Crystal gorgeous???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
She looks amazing! I'm going to read it too! And honestly, the most important thing is health, and not everyone is meant to be a size 2 (I know I'm not).. and as long as you feel good, you're going to look amazing. Confidence is the sexiest thing.
Post a Comment