Sunday, September 19, 2010

Easy A



After sitting in my living room for 7 hours attempting to learn Decedents' Estates I decided I deserved a study break. Although I've been itching to see Ben Affleck's The Town I knew I needed something light. I had read pretty positive reviews of Emma Stone in Easy A and decided to give it a try.

I. Loved. This. Movie. I don't know when it happened, but "teen movies" got smart. It's like someone took what was so breathtakingly genius about John Hughes' films [teenage heartbreak, no one understands me, futile attempts to solve all life's problems at age 16] but made the hero/heroines wise cracking, intelligent and dare I say self aware. Sure, these teens still stumble along the way, but I find teen sheroes to be less woe-is-me than Molly Ringwald. Think Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls and now Emma Stone as Olive.

I loved Emma Stone's character in this film. She's the kid in English class who actually read the book instead of renting the movie. She actually has a healthy relationship with her parents and she's basically who I wish I had been at 17. And sitting in the theater, watching her attempt to salvage her reputation after she's essentially branded a SLWHORE, I wished I had her poise at that age...

The point is...this was a sweet and smart movie and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It even made me forget that I find Penn Badgley beyond annoying as Dan on Gossip Girl.

No comments: