Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Straight Hair. I Care.

So yesterday I took a study break and went to the beauty salon to get a haircut. Now, my hair is EXTREMELY short and could easily be cut by a barber (and it'd be significantly cheaper, too) but I pay ~$15 more for a salon because (1) creepy men hit on me at the barber and (2) sometimes barbers get caught up in my gender and don't wanna cut my hair. When will men get over the long-hair phenomenon? Ugh.

Anywho, my beautician has been styling my hair since I was 10 years old. So I don't really give instruction when I go in...I just let her do her thing. Well yesterday, she cut my hair per usual but then decided to "experiment" and flat iron the top. Above is the result. While I *liked* it, I've concluded straight hair just isn't "me."

Frank asked, "What's the difference? How do you feel any different then when your hair is short v. long, straight v. curly?" Not sure he realized he was asking a pretty critical question. But Frank is also the same person that when he saw me with the straightened hairstyle told me I looked more "feminine". {Ha! He's going to get mad when he reads this post...he thinks he offended me. He didn't.} Frank is a guy and doesn't really give a crap about his hair/looks though he's got a pretty serious preppy-boy swag going on. But for me, how I look says a lot about the kind of message/energy I give off and long/straight-hair'd Akili is just for fun. She isn't real. Curly/short-hair'd Akili is me. I would never want to bamboozle people into thinking they were getting something that wasn't real. I'm a jeans/blazer/t-shirt kind of girl. That's my "swag". That's how I feel most beautiful and most sexy.

Anywho. Before I get too deep and philosophical, the point is I got my hair straightened. I wore it for one day. I'm back to curly-Akili. All is right in my world.

No comments: