Saturday, May 29, 2010

New French McDonald's Ad: I'm Lovin' It!

Frank and I recently had a pretty interesting discussion re: homosexuality and both of our comfort or discomfort regarding the issue. For the record, Frank expressed a level of comfort that I was surprised in. I guess I've misjudged/stereotyped him as a black male? Hmmm.

The convo isn't really the subject of this post, but in a nutshell I essentially felt no matter how "progressive" society thinks it is, we are still very uncomfortable with the idea of "gay-ness" especially gay men. I even cited myself as an example, I'm someone who considers myself very open minded and feel very strongly about gay marriage and gays in the military. Frankly, I'm a huge proponent of equal rights and I think when the government is concerned with who I'm having sex with, yeah, its gotten TOO big! When the government is discriminating against me in terms of financial and fringe benefits because of who I love...its doing too much. But despite my feeling that way I still get a little uncomfortable when encountering overt sexuality from homosexual males. I don't like it about myself. And I guess its a vestige of living in a society that ostracizes homosexuality, but there it is.

I look forward to the day when I no longer think of a homosexual couple as just that--a homosexual couple. They're just a couple like anyone else. In the spirit of that hope, I love McDonald's new ad that's airing in France. Its simple. But I think its needed in our (still) homophobic society. Nothing like this could ever air here in the U.S...but maybe someday...

No comments: